Oxfordshire Family History Society (OFHS) - Monumental Inscriptions

Over a period of two years (2013/14) the OFHS carried out a complete survey of all graves and monuments relating to the old and new graveyards and recorded their findings on CD-ROM. The location, image and transcription of each grave or monument are contained on a CD-ROM available to buy from the OFHS website Reference OXF-MI-DED to be found under the heading MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS.

The 'Old' Graveyard

Scans of the the original Parish Registers can be seen by clicking on the links below:

Index of burials 1631-1845 (large pdf)

Index of Burials 1813-45 (large pdf)

The 'New' Graveyard

...was consecrated on September 23rd 1907. It was replaced by the Hempton Road Cemetery in 1973, though a small number of burials have since been made in existing family plots.

In 1972, just prior to closure, kerbs round the graves were removed and a survey made in order to identify the occupants of each plot. This was subsequently annotated to reflect additional burials in the graveyard. Scans of the survey can be seen by clicking on the links below.

Original survey (pdf) 

Transcription of the survey (pdf)

#Editor's note: The above documents were published on DoL in January 2013; since then some relatives have advised of errors and omissions in the 1973 survey. We cannot amend the original document but we have, when so advised, amended the transcription using red italic font.

War graves 

"A Parish at War" documents the military service of the men and women from Deddington, Clifton and Hempton over the past 200 years.  

The book lists all those known to have died in combat and the locations of all their graves or memorials both abroad and in UK.