Police History

DFMG logoSponsored by Deddington Farmer's Market,
selling the best of local produce 12 months of the year.

PC Bob Donohue 

The first mention I can find of policing in Deddington is 1854, when it appears that the Parish employed its own constable and built a lock-up in Horsefair at a cost of £248 14s 6d. Oxfordshire County Police was formed on 25 March 1857 with the first full-time paid constables working from the army barracks in New Road, Oxford. The Deddington lock-up was extended to become a police station in 1872 and was built by Franklin and Sons of Deddington at a cost of £392 9s 8d with Superintendent Seers in charge. Deddington Magistrates' Court was built in 1875, again by Franklin and Sons, and was situated next door to the police station on High Street.

The police station closed in 1966 as responsibility for policing Deddington had moved to Banbury. It is now a dwelling house (Stoneleigh). However, two new police houses were built on the Hempton Road and constables lived and worked from these houses up until October 1995. The Magistrates' Court is now the Parish library.

In April 2000, a new Police Office opened onto the Market Place. There are 5 constables, a sergeant and 4 civilian volunteers now working at the Dedddington Police Office. They are:

  • Sergeant Neville Clayton, who has overall responsibility for policing the rural area around Banbury, which consists of 34 parishes with a population of about 22,500
  • Constable Clive Middleton who covers the parishes of Deddington, The Astons, Duns tew, The Barfords and South Newington.
  • Constable Gerry Doyle who is responsible for the parishes of Bloxham, Milcombe, Milton, Wiggington, Tadmarton, Swalcliffe and The Sibfords.
  • Constable Pat McDonald who covers Bodicote, Adderbury and Twyford (until Oct 2004).
  • Constable Clive Bradshaw covers the area north of Banbury including Cropredy and surrounding parishes in the northeast, to Wroxton and surrounding parishes in the north west of the area.
  • The officers are assisted by 4 volunteers and PC Bob Donahue (until July 2004).They open the office and deal with enquiries and take messages for the local officers who spend most of their time out patrolling the highways and byways across the area.

There are 45 licensed premises, 12 schools (age 5-18 years). There are several industrial units across the area, from small sites employing less than twenty up to a large site at Adderbury employing a couple of hundred.

During each year a large music festival is held every August at Cropredy (Fairport Convention) which brings in about 25,000 persons for that weekend. In June each year a steam fair rally is held on fields at Bloxham. However, the main area is a rural farming community, growing crops and tendering livestock. With tourism also having its role to play, there are many bed and breakfast, hotel and camping sites across the area. To this end the police office can advise visitors to the area on local amenities, having a selection of tourist information pamphlets available about the local area, including details about Bed and Breakfast establishments, and working with Cherwell Council tourism board.

Please note that the information in this article may not reflect the current situation in  Deddington but is retained for historical reference.

See also Policing the Parish.